Prevent a Bed Bug Infestation
While Long Island, New York City and the entire New York region has seen a dramatic increase in bed bug infestations, you can avoid getting bed bugs. Here are some tips on how to prevent bed bugs from crawling into bed with you.
Travel is the top source of bed bug infestations. Either you or your guests could be bringing home unwanted guests. Prevent a bed bug infestation: A little extra vigilance goes a long way.
Inspect Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs
- When you travel, inspect your hotel room. Put your luggage in the tub and then conduct a bed bug search. Pay extra attention to the bed and nearby furniture, but also check drawers, cracks around the baseboard, luggage racks and closets. Bring a flashlight and do the search with the lights off to improve your chances of finding these light shunning creatures.
- Just because you haven’t found evidence of bed bugs in your hotel room, doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Play it safe and don’t leave clothes, shoes or luggage on the floor, the bed or other furniture. Hang things up—even your purse—and use the racks.
- When you arrive home, leave your luggage outside or in the garage or seal it in a plastic bag until you have time to deal with it. Washing and drying clothes in extremely high heat or freezing belongings for many days can kill some bed bugs, such methods are not practical and are far from fool proof. A better option is to use the Packtite® Hot Box . The Packtite is a collapsible container that holds anything that has been exposed to bed bugs and heats them at a temperature that is safe for your belongings, but deadly to bed bugs and their eggs. Contact Knockout to rent a Packtite—or, if you are a frequent traveler, you can buy one from us.
- While politeness might prevent you from treating the belongings of your guests through this same treatment, do be extra vigilant for bed bugs after their departure. Conduct a thorough inspection of their room and stay alert for several weeks to make sure they haven’t unwittingly left any bed bugs behind.
- Once you get home and shake out and clean all your belongings, keep alert for signs of bed bugs. If you aren’t sure if you have bed bugs, calling in a professional to make an inspection can be inexpensive peace of mind. Many professionals will install early warning devices so you can detect their presence before they become an infestation. (You can get ClimbUp™ bed bug interceptors from us)
When You Have Bed Bugs You Need the Best
If you don’t prevent a bed bug infestation and find yourself with a bed bug problem, call us. Bed bugs are a serious problem that requires choosing the most qualified help you can find. Knockout Pest Control exceeds the New York licensing requirements with both QualityPro and Quality Pro Green ratings, awarded to fewer than 10% of pest control companies nationwide. You are assured of:
Knockout Pest Control Can Knock Out Your Bed Bug Infestation
If you find yourself facing down a bed bug infestation, we can knock them out and keep them down for the count. Our innovative, green treatments, like Cryonite®, and our deep knowledge and bed bug expertise puts them down for the count. We serve all of Long Island, New York City, and Westchester, Rockland and Bergen Counties. Call 1-800-244-PEST or 1-800-244-7378 for fast, 24 hour service seven days a week. We don’t have the big red boxing glove in our logo for nothing!